Monday, October 24, 2016

Hello Everyone!!

Just to fill everyone in I am now living in El Paso TX which is probably the most random thing that has ever happened in my life! I will try to attach pictures of my mission map so you can see how huge my area is. I am serving over the El Paso YSA area. It includes 3 stakes and many wards. 

My companion is Sister Hazen! Yep her last name is my nickname. I am taking it as a sign that we are meant to be together! She converted to the church two years ago and is so solid! We actually lived in Provo at the same time and did a lot of the same things just never saw each other. She has been out 3 months and just finished training when she got me. 

My first day was crazy! I got thrown into my first lesson within 10 minutes of arriving. His name is Eric and he has gone through some crazy stuff but found the gospel and has turned his life around. He doesn't have a set baptism date because of his probation hours so we are hoping in about 3 months he can finally get baptized.

J: An investigator that has been taught all the lessons but has some issues with weed. We taught him word of wisdom and read D&C 89 and he took it as marijuana is a gift from God to take us to a more spiritual place so we had to drop him. It was sad but he wasn't progressing.

M: All his friends are LDS and in the YSA ward. He read the Book of Mormon every day and knows its true. He is just struggling to pick a baptismal date. Last week he came to one of our lessons and raised is hand to ask if he could teach Joseph Smith. It was so amazing and he did such a good job! He came to our lesson last night and taught about the spirit world and how the Plan of Salvation gives him hope.... I just want to throw him in the font.

B: We just started teaching her a few days ago but she is also friends with the YSA in our ward. She loves everything we teach and said she will get baptized as soon and she learns more. When we taught her the Plan of Salvation she was just like "ya that makes sense". I love her so much.

S: We taught Siaa the restoration last week and he excepted everything but he is also really deep and has really profound thoughts. He is 18 and recently got kicked out of his house. When we taught about modern day prophets he got confused and thought he was a prophet. We cleared that up and he was the first person I got to put on date for baptism. Right now we are planning November 12th and I am praying he will get there.

H: She has been taught by the missionaries before and knows everything is true. She is just nervous that after she gets baptized that she will make a mistake and she doesn't want to do that. We are working on getting her to realize that we are always going to mess up and that's why we have Jesus Christ, so we can repent constantly.

I have yet to have any Mexican food. I am so bummed..... I was so stoked before the mission but all I've had is french toast and tomato soup. That's the only down fall of being in a young single adult ward, everyone is poor. 

So my favorite funny story of the week happened this weekend. Someone we had met on the street committed to come to church but bailed last minute because he had work. I texted him back and asked if we could still meet with him. He then responded something like "to be honest ma'am I only said yes because I thought you were pretty". I spent the next 30 minutes laughing before sacrament meeting.

Well I have to go but I love you all and I will try to fill you in better next week!


Love,
Sister Nye















No comments:

Post a Comment